Change for Change
In partnership with the City of San Luis Obispo and the San Luis Obispo Downtown Association, United Way of San Luis Obispo County is the fiscal agent for downtown donation meters. In an effort to redirect money given to panhandlers, these recycled parking meters encourage Downtown patrons to give to local programs that are working to improve conditions for those in need.
- Help those that are willing to transition out of homelessness
- Provide an immediate alternative to give directly in a meaningful way
- Change the culture to stop the enabling and destructive behaviors
- Converted and specially designated donation meters provide an opportunity to give instantly
- Available Downtown as a means to raise awareness and discourage panhandling
- Donations go directly to the United Way of San Luis Obispo County and funds are distributed to local social service providers helping those in need
- Meter sponsorships are available so you can make a difference
- Community Awareness & Coordinated Responses - build community awareness and support for coordinated responses to reduce homelessness
- Enhance Public Safety - Improve public safety by reducing the number of program resistant individuals that support their life styles and addictions through panhandling.
- Services - Provide better access to supportive services that promote long-term stability and improved functioning
We would like to thank the County of San Luis Obispo Board of Supervisors for their $2,250 Community Grant to assist with the implementation of the Meter Donation Station campaign and the Change for Change program, and a special thanks to Supervisor Gibson - District 2, Supervisor Hill - District 3, Supervisor Arnold - District 5 for their support.