When disasters strike, lives, homes, communities, and businesses may be damaged or destroyed. Those affected often need substantial short-term and long-term support to put their lives back together. Community organizations, working in coordination with governmental first responders, provide vital assistance.
We promote communication, cooperation, coordination, and collaboration among community organizations, faith-based groups, and government agencies with the goal of streamlining service delivery to people affected by disasters while eliminating unnecessary duplication of effort.
Benefits of Membership
By becoming a member, you will be able to:
- Increase your organization’s disaster preparedness.
- Participate in seminars, workshops, and other learning opportunities.
Share services or resources with other disaster-response organizations.
- Promote your organization throughout the county.
- Network with other people dedicated to serving the diverse communities of San Luis Obispo County.
- Help support our community during disasters.
We encourage and provide the following:
- Education. Training to increase disaster preparedness of organizations and community members.
- Convening. Meetings, seminars, and local conferences to enhance preparedness.
- Outreach. Guidance to organizations that already are or want to become active in disaster relief.
- Mitigation. Support for efforts of federal, state, and local agencies and governments.
- Review and complete the Membership Application (Captures member agency information, and individual contacts for that agency)
- Review and complete the Statement of Understanding (Outlines the mutual expectations between SLO VOAD and its members)
- Review and complete the Member Agencies Locations and Assets (Captures information about an agency's location(s), assets, equipment, etc.)
Chairperson Rick London, United Way of San Luis Obispo County
Vice Chairperson Alexis Okumura, Senior Volunteer Services
Leola Dublin Macmillan, PhD, United Way of San Luis Obispo County
Helpful Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Links
Essential Guide to Flood Preparation and Planning
- A guide to flood planning and preparation.
FloodSmart.gov Tools and Resources
- A range of resources to educate people about the impact of flooding, and what they can do to protect themselves.
- A private social network for your neighborhood.
The Red Cross Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Page
- Information about and tips to prepare for disasters, organized by type of disaster.
The Red Guide to Recovery
A lot of helpful information on recovery. Visitors can also purchase the Red Guide.
- Local emergency contacts and information, as well as many preparedness and response tips.
- Learn crucial facts about the California Drought and ways to help conserve water.
- Information/resources to various pages