DATABASE MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Part-Time, Hourly)
United Way of San Luis Obispo County (UWSLOC) is focused on creating long lasting change in our communities by focusing on the building blocks for a good quality of life – education, income, and health – with one such program being 2-1-1 San Luis Obispo County, a free 24/7/365 resource line that provides information to callers about valuable resources in the community.
The Database Management Specialist will manage various UWSLOC databases (iCarol, the
2-1-1 resource database; Andar, UWSLOC’s client relations database, miscellaneous spreadsheets, etc.). The ideal candidate will be a motivated, self-starter with strong written communication skills, have knowledge of basic computer programs, and the ability to learn company specific programs and databases.
With supervision and direction from UWSLOC staff, this position will be given the opportunity to learn about the United Way network, to interact with other nonprofits in SLO County, and to work collaboratively with United Way partners and key stakeholders to ensure 2-1-1 callers always have access to the most current information.
There will be opportunities for this position to assist in the analysis of 2-1-1 caller data to help produce community needs and trends reports for stakeholders, funders, and researchers. During disasters this position may assist by gathering, verifying, and disseminating time-sensitive, critical information about disaster resources.
ABOUT THE JOB:
This part time, temporary position has an approximate time commitment of 30 hours per week during regular business hours (flexible) and is expected to last approximately 18 months. The main role of the position is to ensure that all UWSLOC databases are accurate and up-to-date, and the primary responsibilities include:
• Learning about United Way and its role in the community
• Gaining an understanding of the 2-1-1 program on a local and national level
• Learning to use the iCarol database software; become familiar with the software tools and database style requirements
• Requesting database updates from agencies; following up with agencies via email and/or phone when verifications are not completed
• Be the point of contact for agency questions, providing technical assistance when needed
• Increase awareness about UWSLOC and 2-1-1 among community members; staff informational booth at community outreach events as needed
• Produce reports and analyze data as needed
• Maintain social media accounts
• Other UWSLOC duties as assigned
• Associate’s Degree in Information Technology, Social Service, Library Science, or other related field required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• At least 2 years’ experience in social services, information management, or library services
• Passion for making vital health and human service information accessible to various audiences in multiple formats
• Self-motivated and organized
• Excellent writing and editing skills (attention to detail and accuracy)
• Technologically savvy, with proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office, various web browsers, and other software applications
• Punctuality and dependability
• A commitment to professional ethics and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
• Experience writing and editing text for clarity using a style guide
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and take initiative
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary DOE. This is a part-time, temporary, non-exempt position. Part-time employees are eligible for paid holidays, paid sick leave, and other mandated benefits such as workers' compensation and state disability.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may contact us at (805) 541-1234 for more information.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all applicable requirements regarding applicants and criminal histories.
Born Learning Academy - Facilitator (PAID, part-time)
United Way of San Luis Obispo County
United Way of San Luis Obispo County (UWSLOC) is focused on creating long-lasting change in our communities by focusing on the building blocks for a good quality of life –education, income and health.
The Born Learning Program is a public engagement campaign that helps caregivers explore ways to turn everyday moments into fun learning opportunities (www.bornlearning.org), and by implementing this program locally, parents will be given the chance to make connections with school staff. The Academy Facilitator will assist in organizing workshops and work directly with the program coordinator. The right candidate will be motivated, school personnel with strong verbal communication skills, and an interest in building a platform for change in the community starting with education.
With direction from Born Learning program staff, this paid position will provide the opportunity to learn about the United Way system; with a specific focus on implementing material and guiding parents and caregivers through the Born Learning workshops.
As a Facilitator in this nationally recognized program, this is an excellent opportunity for a candidate to make caring connections with families and utilize skills in delivering informative early learning curriculum via child development sessions.
The main role of the facilitator is to:
• Become familiar with the Born Learning curriculum
• Utilize creative skills in making sessions accessible and fun
• Review all training modules, the Facilitator guide and additional program material
• Observe skills of the participants and provide support as necessary
• Work with the coordinator to distribute and collect pre/post surveys
• Commit to using data to inform future sessions
• Record number of children who are entering Kindergarten the following school year. Names of Students are not necessary but rather the number of participants entering Kindergarten and cumulative results of their kindergarten readiness screen.
The academy consists of six workshops and/or 6 networking sessions occurring over a set period. This project has been funded for 4 academies (each at least 6 weeks in length, no more than 12 weeks). The Facilitator must commit to being available for each workshop in a specific academy including prep time and clean up time.
The Facilitator must enroll in and complete the 6-hour online training course before the first parent session.
• REQUIRED: Bilingual in Spanish
• Proficiency in organizing educational workshops
• Experience working with parents and families
• Familiarity with data collection (administering pre/post surveys and track outcomes)
• Ability to creatively engage an audience and communicate with caregivers, certified educator preferred
• Project Management and strategic planning skills
• Knowledge of Early Childhood Development and effective parenting practices
• Knowledge of child, parent, health and social support systems in SLO County
• Cultural competency to meet the needs of linguistically diverse and under-represented populations
• Computer and internet skills to communicate electronically
• Ability to creatively engage an audience and communicate with caregivers
• Available to attend all workshops over the set period
• Strong interest in learning more about United Way’s Born Learning Academy
• Minimum of Associate's degree, with Bachelor's degree and Teaching Credential, preferred
The Born Learn Academy Facilitator will gain local academic and community contacts, build resources, and gain valuable skills in community service programs working with nationally recognized programs in a local setting.
This is a project-based part-time position that will be hired as an independent contractor. Hourly pay rate is between $25 - $35 per hour, DOE.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Linda Wingert, Director of Community Engagement at email@example.com or call (805) 541-1234 for more information.
Current Openings at Other Organizations:
When available, United Way of San Luis Obispo County will also post positions available at other nonprofit organizations. Please see our Agency Resources page for more information about sharing your open position.
No known openings.