Born Learning Academy - Facilitator (PAID, part-time)
United Way of San Luis Obispo County
United Way of San Luis Obispo County (UWSLOC) is focused on creating long-lasting change in our communities by focusing on the building blocks for a good quality of life –education, income and health.
The Born Learning Program is a public engagement campaign that helps caregivers explore ways to turn everyday moments into fun learning opportunities (www.bornlearning.org), and by implementing this program locally, parents will be given the chance to make connections with school staff. The Academy Facilitator will assist in organizing workshops and work directly with the program coordinator. The right candidate will be motivated, school personnel with strong verbal communication skills, and an interest in building a platform for change in the community starting with education.
With direction from Born Learning program staff, this paid position will provide the opportunity to learn about the United Way system; with a specific focus on implementing material and guiding parents and caregivers through the Born Learning workshops.
As a Facilitator in this nationally recognized program, this is an excellent opportunity for a candidate to make caring connections with families and utilize skills in delivering informative early learning curriculum via child development sessions.
The main role of the facilitator is to:
• Become familiar with the Born Learning curriculum
• Utilize creative skills in making sessions accessible and fun
• Review all training modules, the Facilitator guide and additional program material
• Observe skills of the participants and provide support as necessary
• Work with the coordinator to distribute and collect pre/post surveys
• Commit to using data to inform future sessions
• Record number of children who are entering Kindergarten the following school year. Names of Students are not necessary but rather the number of participants entering Kindergarten and cumulative results of their kindergarten readiness screen.
The academy consists of six workshops and/or 6 networking sessions occurring over a set period. This project has been funded for 4 academies (each at least 6 weeks in length, no more than 12 weeks). The Facilitator must commit to being available for each workshop in a specific academy including prep time and clean up time.
The Facilitator must enroll in and complete the 6-hour online training course before the first parent session.
• REQUIRED: Bilingual in Spanish
• Proficiency in organizing educational workshops
• Experience working with parents and families
• Familiarity with data collection (administering pre/post surveys and track outcomes)
• Ability to creatively engage an audience and communicate with caregivers, certified educator preferred
• Project Management and strategic planning skills
• Knowledge of Early Childhood Development and effective parenting practices
• Knowledge of child, parent, health and social support systems in SLO County
• Cultural competency to meet the needs of linguistically diverse and under-represented populations
• Computer and internet skills to communicate electronically
• Ability to creatively engage an audience and communicate with caregivers
• Available to attend all workshops over the set period
• Strong interest in learning more about United Way’s Born Learning Academy
• Minimum of Associate's degree, with Bachelor's degree and Teaching Credential, preferred
The Born Learn Academy Facilitator will gain local academic and community contacts, build resources, and gain valuable skills in community service programs working with nationally recognized programs in a local setting.
This is a project-based part-time position that will be hired as an independent contractor. Hourly pay rate is between $25 - $35 per hour, DOE.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Linda Wingert, Director of Community Engagement at email@example.com or call (805) 541-1234 for more information.
Current Openings at Other Organizations:
When available, United Way of San Luis Obispo County will also post positions available at other nonprofit organizations. Please see our Agency Resources page for more information about sharing your open position.
No known openings.