Our 2021 Drop-Off VITA Program officially launches on Wednesday, February 10! Our drop off hours will be on Wednesdays from 3-5PM and Saturdays from 10AM - Noon at the Oceano Community Center until April 10th then starting again from April 28th - May 8th. Drop-Off is by appointment only.
Print and complete forms 13614 and 14446 for a faster appointment:
|1. Had Household income of $57,000 or less|
|2. Had no rental income (from properties you own)|
|3. Did not file for bankruptcy in the last year|
|4. Had no self employment expenses, or if you had any, they were below $10,000.|
You can also prepare and file your taxes online with United Way using MyFreeTaxes.org!
Did you know California has a tax credit for working families and individuals? It’s called the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) and it is modeled after the federal credit.
California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)
In addition to the federal Earned Income Tax Credit, a state Earned Income Tax Credit is now available for families in California. Signed into law in 2015, California’s new EITC is available for households who meet income eligibility. About 3 million California families and individuals may qualify for this credit in 2021. Who should you know?
- NEW: If you file with an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or someone in your household has one, you might now qualify for the credit if you otherwise meet eligibility criteria.
- A worker earning $30,000 or less may qualify for the credit. That's equivalent to a full-time worker earning about $15/hr.
- Up to additional $1,000 for qualifying families with young children under 6.
- Self-employment income may qualify for the credit. Both 1099 filers and cash earners qualify.
- Adults 18-24 and those over 65 with no dependents qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit.
To estimate the amount you may be eligible to receive in federal and state EITC, and other benefits, visit the Benefit kitchen App. In 2019 over 1.4 million families claimed more than $346 million dollars in the California Earned Income Tax Credit.
Learn more at The California Budget and Policy Center
Check out this video from CA Franchise Tax Board for info on CalEITC:
Do you know about the Golden State Stimulus?
For more information about EITC and to find out about free tax prep services:
Text “TAXES” to 211-211
Click our Tax-Time calculator below to see if you qualify for credits this year!
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA):
If you earned $57,000 or less in 2020, you may qualify for free in-person tax filing with certified tax volunteers.
What to bring with you to your tax appointment:
Thank you to our partners!